eSIM is a global specification by the GSMA which enables remote SIM provisioning of any mobile device.eSIM now allows consumers to store multiple operator profiles on a device simultaneously, and switch between them remotely, though only one can be used at a time. The specification now extends to a wider range of devices, beyond the single companion device made possible with the first release. Manufacturers and operators can now enable consumers to select the operator of their choice and then securely download that operator’s SIM application to any device. Remote provisioning means much smaller devices can be supported. The first products have already come to market, and we can expect to see many further launches in 2018: it is now easier to extend mobile connectivity to devices such as tablets, smartwatches, fitness bands, portable health systems, and various other devices.eSIM is the only globally-backed remote SIM specification for consumer devices. This universal approach will grow the Internet of Things by allowing manufacturers to build a new range of products for global deployment based on this common embedded SIM architecture.
How to Activate Airtel eSIM on Your Smartphone
- Send an SMS eSIM<space>email ID to 121.
- If no email id is registered with your mobile number, Send an SMS EMAILUPDATE<space>email ID to 121.
- To confirm the eSIM request, you have to immediately reply with 1 to the acknowledgment SMS sent by Airtel.
- Once the eSIM request is successful, an email with a QR code will be sent to the registered email id.
- For iPhone users: Go to Settings > Cellular > Add Cellular Plan and scan the QR code.
- For Android users: Go to Settings > Network & internet > Mobile network > Advanced > Carrier > Add Carrier and scan the QR code.
- The QR code sent through email is only useful for a single scan.
- If the eSIM activation process is failed or stopped midway, send a SIM to 121 by typing NOSIM to stop deactivating the physical SIM.
- It takes around 2 hours post scanning the QR code to successfully activate the eSIM.