A PAN card is a unique 10 character code that is assigned to all tax paying entities in India. If the two are not linked by the end of the day, your income tax returns will not be processed. Says a notification on the Income Tax E-filing website. The last date for PAN card-Aadhaar linking has already been extended once so the government is unlikely to give citizens more time once the deadline ends. Moreover, if the process to link PAN card with Aadhaar is not completed in time, the IT returns filed this year will become void, attracting a penalty of up to Rs. 5,000 and heavy interest can be levied in case of payable taxes. The Aadhaar PAN linking must be done irrespective of whether you provided the acknowledgement number for Aadhaar card, or quoted it in the tax returns form.
How to Link PAN Card With Aadhaar Card Online
- Go to Income Tax e-filing portal.
- Click on the link on the left side Link Aadhaar.
- Now, enter your PAN number, Aadhaar number, name as per Aadhaar, and the Captcha, and then click on Link Aadhaar.
- This should link the PAN and Aadhaar, but if there is any discrepancy in your details, you’ll receive an Aadhaar OTP to confirm the linkage.
- Enter the OTP and click on Save to continue.
- You can also link the details after logging in to the income tax website.
- Log in as you normally would and then click on Profile Settings in the top menu.
- Next, find Link Aadhaar.
- Enter your Aadhaar number and click on Save to continue.
Also Read: How to Download a Copy of Your Aadhaar Card
How to Send Money to Aadhaar Numbers via BHIM App
How to Lock Aadhaar Biometric Data Online