Google Conversation allows you to have informal or formal chat sessions with your friends and groups of friends. The former can be done between two people or among a group of people in what Google refers to as a group conversation. The latter is accomplished through a separate location known as a Space by Google.
Google chat is just a way for two or more people to converse without any formality – for example, if you wanted to quickly discuss where you were going to meet for lunch, you’d start a group conversation with your pals. Once the conversation is done, it’s done, and it will be deleted after five days.
How to Activate and Use Google Chat in Gmail
How to Activate Google Chat on a Mobile App
- Open the Gmail app on your phone.
- Tap the three-line icon at the top-left corner.
- Scroll down and select Settings.
- Select your account.
- Scroll down to General.
- If you’re using an Android phone, check off Show the chat and spaces tabs.
- If you’re using an iPhone or iPad, toggle Show the chat and spaces tab on.
- To start a new Chat, tap on the Chat icon and then on the small New chat popup in the lower-right corner
How to Activate and Use Google Chat on a Browser
- Go to your Gmail account.
- Go to Settings in the upper-right corner.
- Select See all settings.
- In the top menu, select Chat and Meet.
- You have the choice of selecting Google Chat, Classic Hangouts, and Off. Assuming you want to try Chat, click on that.
- Chat appears on the left side of your Gmail screen by default, but you may select to have it show on the right side.
- Chat and Meet lets you hide the Meet section in Gmail if you want to.
- Click on Save Changes.
- To start a new Chat, click on the plus sign in the corners of the Chat or Spaces boxes.
How to Create a Space on Google Chat
- On the web, go to the Space box on the left of Gmail and click on the plus sign.
- In the mobile app, tap on the Spaces icon.
- Select Create space.